Stock theft and predator attacks can result in major financial loss, and many farmers despair at finding a solution. Philip Lötter, a former sheep farmer in the Western Cape, suffered ongoing livestock theft on his farm. In 1999, he decided to tackle the problem head-on, and collaborated with Stellenbosch-based company Etse Electronics to develop a livestock anti-theft system.
A FarmRanger collar is placed on only one animal per group, and thereby monitors the entire flock or herd. If the animal is threatened, the collar will sense the abnormal movement and trigger an alarm on the farmer’s mobile. With its built-in GPS, FarmRanger allows a farmer to keep precise track of a herd or flock, showing where the alarm is occurring.
FarmRanger can be used on any mobile phone via SMS messages, and has a smartphone application available for Android and Apple devices. FarmRanger does not require field stations because the collars communicate directly to the farmer’s phone. This means that there is no set-up cost, making FarmRanger a very affordable solution. More than 1 500 farmers in South Africa, Namibia and Australia are currently using FarmRanger collars.
PRODUCTS & SERVICES
LIVESTOCK THEFT? PREDATORS? STRAY DOG ATTACKS?
During livestock theft or a predator attack, the FarmRanger system generates alarms on the farmer's cell phone. The GPS position of the animals are shown in the FarmRanger App and the farmer can act quickly to prevent damage. FarmRanger, previously known as Celmax, has been the industry leader since the company started in 1999. We have more than 15 years experience and just over 1500 loyal customers to date.
- Anything that will startle your livestock will be sensed. Protect your animals from stray dogs, caracal, jackal, leopard, rustlers, raiders, vultures, fires and many more.
- Users have the option to adjust the settings to accommodate just about any livestock. These settings are predominantly related to how active they are at night.
- There are no installation costs. Once you received your unit, all you have to do is attach it to an animal.
- The easy to use application can be installed on any Android or iOS device.
- There are no field stations that thieves could damage and any tampering with the unit will set off an alarm on the farmers mobile device.
- FarmRanger collars work on a GPRS network which has the widest spread coverage of all mobile networks. Coverage enhancing systems can be installed on request. (More details here)
- The batteries are rechargeable and should last about 12 weeks.
- Units are 100% waterproof, rated IP67 and have a 12 month guarantee. The current design has been built since 2006 and the first unit is still in use today.
- The same unit can be used on any livestock. FarmRanger collars are adjustable for size and sensitivity to accommodate sheep, cattle, horses, goats and more.
- If you don't have a smartphone, functionality can also work on any older phone via sms messages and calls.