Dragline Hose: Everything You Need To Know
Irrigation and farming go hand-in-hand, you cannot produce crops without water and without crops, there will surely be a food shortage. Unfortunately, water can be quite a rare commodity which is why farmers (especially those that live in dry areas) must invest in the correct equipment. Having the right equipment can ensure that a crop receives the right amount of water without wastage. An important piece of equipment when it comes to irrigation is hosing.
In this article, we will discuss what a dragline hose is and why it is a must-have when looking for your irrigation hosing solution.
A dragline hose is a hose that has been specially designed for the agricultural industry. It is a high-pressure hose that is typically manufactured by making use of PVC, otherwise known as polyvinyl chloride. PVC is a synthetic polymer of plastic that is popular due to its accommodating nature. There are two general variations of PVC - flexible and rigid. Dragline hoses are often designed and manufactured to have two layers consisting of an inner liner and an outer cover.
Dragline hoses are mostly used to irrigate crops within the agricultural industry. They are a popular choice due to the fact that they can handle a lot of pressure, and provide great benefits when it comes to performance and the environment. Dragline hoses aren't just utilised for water irrigation. They are also fantastic at nutrient (also known as manure) application. Nutrient application is a vital step to ensuring that one grows a healthy and luscious crop, which is why one must ensure that one has the correct equipment with which to apply the nutrients.
There are multiple benefits that dragline hoses provide to farmers, whether they make use of them for irrigation, nutrient application, or both. Some of the benefits that a dragline hose provides include:
- Sustainable Water Management: They are known to be sustainable when it comes to water management. Therefore, farmers will not spend as much on water bills and there will be less water wastage. Water is one of the key resources of life which is why we should try to use it as effectively and sparingly as possible.
- Durability: Dragline hoses are also very hardy, making them perfect for use in harsh farming conditions. Their durability comes from the way their lining and cover are designed and manufactured.
- UV Resistant: Dragline hoses are known for being able to withstand temperatures between 0° C to 60°C. They are also UV resistant, meaning that they will not degrade due to sun damage.
- Abrasion- and Cut-Resistant: While being cut- and abrasion-resistant, these hoses are every farmer's go-to irrigation hose.
- Easy Packing and Transportation: When performing the process of nutrient application, one wants to do it as efficiently as possible, which means that one wants to cover large areas. This requires a lot of hose. Due to the flexibility and lightweight nature of dragline hoses they are easy to store and transport to the required location.
- Liquid Movement: Due to the design of a dragline hose they are able to handle a large amount of pressure. This means that the hose can deliver a higher flow of water or manure while being able to reach a further pumping distance. This substantially increases efficiency.
The price of a dragline hose depends on the quality you choose to opt for which will be noticeable in the length of the warranty. There are typically two lengths of warranties that are available consisting of a 5-year warranty and a 10-year warranty. The main difference between the two is the durability with which it has been designed and manufactured. Depending on how much you are able to spend and the length of time or environment you choose to use it in, you would make your choice between the two.
Watex is a company that specialises in reinforced hosing. They have been in the industry since 1999 and do sell dragline hosing. They make use of virgin raw materials when manufacturing their products and their dragline hoses boast an impressive minimum burst pressure of 2500 kpa.
To find out more about Watex and their hosing solutions, visit the AgrifoodSA directory and ensure that you have the right equipment to easily and effectively complete your irrigation and nutrient application.