An Eco-Friendly Option With Polyurethane Spray Foam Insulation
All structures, from chicken houses to commercial buildings require insulation. The question is, which insulation option to opt for? Polyurethane spray foam insulation is not only extremely effective and easy to install, but it is also environmentally friendly. In this article, we will discuss everything that there is to know about this insulation product as well as list all of the benefits it has to offer.
Yes! Polyurethane foam is a fantastic thermal insulator. As the foam is sprayed directly onto the surface area to be covered and insulated, it is able to fill hard-to-reach areas and crevices. This, in turn, creates an airtight seal that prevents heat from escaping in the winter months. It also prevents hot air from entering the area, and, therefore, keeps it moderately cool in the summertime.
Polyurethane spray foam is typically made by mixing two chemicals together. These two chemicals consist of isocyanate and a polyol blend or resin. The isocyanate is referred to as the A-side chemical, while the polyol blend or resin is referred to as the B-side chemical. The chemicals are mixed together in a reactor at a specifically determined pressure and temperature. Once the mixing has been performed, the reacting liquid is transferred via a heated hose or a fusion gun. There are, however, two types of polyurethane insulation foam known as; closed-cell and open-cell foam.
- Closed-Cell Foam: This foam has a higher density and a higher R-value. Therefore, it is more adept at resisting heat transfer. It is also fantastic at preventing air leakage and moisture penetration. As this foam is typically more effective due to its higher R-value, it is more expensive
- Open-Cell Foam: As one can imagine, this type of polyurethane insulation foam does have a lower R-value, and, therefore, is not as dense. This also means that it is more flexible and is, therefore, preferred in areas such as attics and ceilings.
There are a multitude of benefits that polyurethane spray foam insulation offer building and structures of all sizes and functions. Some of the most notable benefits of this insulation method include:
- Eco-Friendly: Polyutherane spray foam insulation is completely eco-friendly. It is known to be an environmentally friendly insulation method as it does not have any ozone-depleting potential. It also does not contribute to global warming and does not contain any volatile organic compounds. Therefore, this product is completely safe to have in your home, or any other buildings and structures.
- Improved Indoor Air Quality: As polyurethane spray foam creates an airtight seal, no particles that can be transported by air can enter the building or structure. Therefore, dust, pollen, and other allergens are prevented from entering the space. This increases the air quality inside the structure.
- Energy Savings: As it is an extremely good thermal insulator, one does not have to spend as much money on heating and cooling systems. Therefore, one’s electricity bill will reduce dramatically.
- Flexible: This form of insulation can be utilised in industrial, residential, commercial, and agricultural spaces. Within the agricultural sector, this insulation foam is often used in poultry houses as well as pig houses. It can also be utilised on new constructions to ensure proper insulation from the start, or can be applied to existing structures when wanting to improve one’s insulation.
Ecofoam is a proudly South African company that specialises in spray insulation. They have made sure to invest in state-of-the-art equipment in order to manufacture and install the highest quality polyurethane spray foam. While they do offer spraying services for a variety of industries and structures, they are very active within the agricultural sector. No matter where your farm resides, they will be able to provide you with high-quality insulation for your agricultural structure.
Visit the AgrifoodSA directory to find out more about Ecofoam and their polyurethane spray foam insulation solutions.